Thursday, May 17, 2012

‘It reflects the faith people have in an Army officer’ - Pradeep Kaushal interviews newly appointed Vice-Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University - The Indian Express

Army Speak

In an interview with The Indian Express, Former Deputy Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen (retd) Zameer Uddin Shah who has been appointed the new vice-chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University, said:

"I would say that Muslims in India will get a fair chance if they are educated. We can always give the excuse of discrimination and such things, but I tell people, look, if you are educated, nobody will discriminate against you."

It would appear the newly appointed VC, coming from the protected world of Army, does not live in the real world. In India discrimination against Muslims is more rampant, more insidious than the most reviled corruption. The latest example is the glass ceiling that UPSC has been exposed of, when the ratio of Muslim selection has remained at around the static 3% ratio.

However, not much is expected by the Muslim community from the people from government services, as they are programmed to serve the government, rather than the people. Whatever good he can impart in inculcating a new sense of purpose into the despairing and demoralized Muslim students should be treated as his personal contribution and not that of the government or Army.

Ghulam Muhammed, Mumbai


------------------

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/it-reflects-the-faith-people-have-in-an-army-officer/950181/0

The Indian Express



‘It reflects the faith people have in an Army officer’


Pradeep Kaushal : Thu May 17 2012, 03:43

Former Deputy Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen (retd) Zameer Uddin Shah has been appointed vice-chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University, which had been left headless after a court battle and which had been rocked by campus violence. In this interview, he describes how he hopes to restore the institute to its original stature.


What are your plans for AMU?

I am going to restore AMU to its pristine glory. I will ensure there is proper education, that students gain confidence in themselves, and are equipped to meet the requirements of modern-day jobs. But discipline must be ensured if there has to be an atmosphere conducive to learning; we cannot have strikes and lawlessness on the campus.

We have brilliant academics but I find that over a period of time, the quality of research has taken a little dip... I will motivate them to spend more time on research, study and self-improvement. However, I will tighten selection procedures so that we ensure we draw the best material from all over the country.

What signal does your appointment give?

It signals that everybody connected with AMU is looking for a change. They are looking at AMU regaining its original place, where it was among the top-notch universities of the country. I think what they are looking for and the parents are looking for is a peaceful environment on the campus so that students get all the time in the world for academic pursuits and not pursuits of an undesirable nature... I have the President’s mandate. I have the mandate of the AMU court. They elected me by an overwhelming majority. So I am quite certain I have their confidence.


How would a former Army officer deal with an academic job?

I have been an Army officer. I have dealt with insurgencies, with the 1971 operations. I joined the Army after high school. The Army educated me. I did an M Sc from Madras University and an M Phil from Indore University. As Deputy Chief of Army Staff, I handled the Army budget of several thousand crores. I administered 30,000 to 40,000 troops in the whole of the Northeast. I have managed five educational institutions of the Army. So, you cannot say I am not an academic. You cannot say I am an administrator, I am not an administrator. I am a happy blend of both.


Why is it that former bureaucrats, police officers and Army officers are considered for AMU vice-chancellor but none for Delhi University VC?

For some years, unfortunately, AMU has had a string of disciplinary problems. I think the focus is on restoring peace so that academic activity can continue unhindered. The situations in the two universities are different. Delhi University has never faced indiscipline of the magnitude that the AMU is confronted with. That may explain why they opted for an Army officer. I would say it just reflects the faith people have in an Army officer.


What solution do you have for criminal activity on the campus?

The aim is to clear criminals out of the campus. I am told — I don’t know how far it is true — that there are some criminals residing on the campus. And the way to do it is probably to clear the campus totally at the end of the term. I am going to, with the help of civilian administration, make sure undesirable elements who are not students of AMU do not reside there.


How do you propose to deal with corruption in an institution where there have been allegations even against vice-chancellors?

I have learnt one way to deal with corruption and that is to set an example. What I learnt in the Army will be my motto: “Follow me.” And if lay stress on integrity, I mean it is not negotiable. I am going to lead by personal example. Regarding allegations, I will be able to say something only after seeing inquiry reports.


What does the ‘M’ in AMU mean to you?

I take pride in the fact that I am a practising Muslim. But, being a practising Muslim does not mean that you don’t have a secular outlook. I am going to stress that India is our country. We have got to manage ourselves in the country. I would say that Muslims in India will get a fair chance if they are educated. We can always give the excuse of discrimination and such things, but I tell people, look, if you are educated, nobody will discriminate against you. After all, your employer is waiting for you to return the investment he has made in you. So, the key to progress of Indian Muslims — and let me tell you that AMU was established for this purpose — is education. That is how it is going to be. It is going to be a totally secular organisation. Well, they have to live in a secular world.


How do you respond to the Special Investigation Team’s finding that the Gujarat government asked an IPS officer in 2002 to investigate you for an alleged relationship?

You can check with the people of Gujarat how many thousands of lives were saved by the Army. Yes, there have been reflections that I was associated with a woman from Bhavnagar and that the administration contemplated an inquiry without informing me. My answer is, if your are uncomfortable with the actions of the Army, the best way to hamstring it is to level allegations against the character of the leader of the Army on the spot. These allegations are totally false. Yes, there was an incident of a woman from Bhavnagar getting involved with a colonel. When we learnt of it, the officer was removed from command overnight. I have nothing to do with it. This is mere character assassination.

No comments:

Post a Comment